There is nothing better than a warm hearty soup during these cold, miserable months. This recipe can be tweaked in so many ways depending on taste. You can also add some pancetta if it’s to ‘veggie’ for you!
Ingredients (4 people):
- 6 Tablespoons of extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion, Roughly Chopped
- 2 Carrots, Peeled And Roughly Chopped
- 2 Turnips, Roughly Chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks, Washed And Roughly Chopped
- 150g Curly Savoy Cabbage or kale, Trimmed And Roughly Chopped
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1.5 Litres Warm Vegetable Stock
- 200g of Cannellini Beans, Drained
- 200g of Chickpeas
- 200g of Borlotti Beans
- Chopped Flat-Leaf Parsley
- 4 slices of Rustic Style Bread
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 100g of Freshly Grated Pecorino Cheese
- Salt And White Pepper To Taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion, carrots, turnips, celery, cabbage/kale and bay leaf for 5 minutes until golden, stirring occasionally. Pour in the vegetable stock and gently simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all the vegetables are soft.
- Add all the beans, season, and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes. Stir in the parsley and allow to rest for 3 minutes.
- Preheat a griddle pan. Toast the bread on the griddle pan for about 2 minutes on each side until golden and crispy. Immediately lightly rub with the garlic on one side only.
- To serve, place a slice of bread in each bowl and pour over the soup. Sprinkle with Pecorino and serve immediately.